Friday, July 24, 2009

In the Eye of the Beholder

Sometimes gardening can be difficult. Oh, I don't mean the digging and planting. I mean trying to decide what is a weed and what is a garden plant - what should go and what should stay. Here are two pretty purple flowering plants. They are both blooming at the same time, just feet from each other. This first one is a Creeping Bellflower. Nice, eh?

The next one is a Hosta. So what's my problem? Well, you guessed it. I am sorry to say that the Bellflower has to go. I doesn't really seem fair. Both are pretty. Both are similar in shape. Both come up every year without any fuss.
But the Hosta will stay and the Bellflowers will be pulled out. But I know that won't be the end of them. They are very hardy. You can read all about them here, on a post I wrote a couple of months ago on my other blog. I know I will be battling these things for many years to come.



1 comment:

  1. I learned that sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do... And as hard as it is to pull up something pretty... It needs to go if it is invasive and is the proverbial chalk on the blackboard to the eye. Some folks don't look at things in that manner, but if it is out of place to my eye, I'm uncomfortable until I've changed it.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete