Friday, May 1, 2009

Lamium maculatum

On my continued journey through my garden I want to show you my Lamium maculatum, commonly known as Dead Nettle. It is growing in a very sunny spot. I don't know how it got there. I planted it in the shade in another part of the garden, a long way from this one. The ones which I planted are very small and slow to come up. They are in the shade. Apparently this plant likes shade to partial shade., but this one is in full sun. Go figure! I will probably move it to a more shady spot because here the soil is poor and it gets very hot and dry in the summer.

Lamium is a herbaceous perennial. Mine has green leaves with a white stripe down the centre. The flowers are light mauve. It is in the Lamiaceae family. It is low growing, reaching only about 6 inches to 12 inches. It blooms from early spring through the summer.

Family: Lamiaceae, Genus: Lamium, Species: L. maculatum
Common name: Dead Nettle

No comments:

Post a Comment