Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pasque Flower

Some of my favourite early spring plants are the Pasque Flowers. These perennials are one of the first plants to come up in the spring. Pasque refers to Passover and they are called this because they tend to flower at that time of the year. Although in my neck of the woods, it is usually still too cold then. In my garden they bloom during the month of May.

I have several varieties in my garden. A few years ago I bought a white flowering one, but I can't find it this year. I think I will go out and buy another one this year. This is a close up of a lovely fuchsia coloured one.

Family: Ranunculaceae. Genus: Pulsatilla.
Common name: Anemone, Prairie Crocus
This plant is highly toxic! It produces carcinogenic toxins. It can slow the human heart rate. It can lead to hypotension and coma. This plant has been widely used in folk medicines as a sedative and to induce abortions and childbirth. Needless to say, as pretty as this plant is, I won't be eating any part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment