Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Back to Nature Part 4

I have a couple of other naturalized plants in my garden, but the photos are not very good. This is Jack in the Pulpit. There are about 5 or 6 of these plants now. I planted only one a few years ago. This patch that I have is totally covered in leaves - many leaves of a very large size. And they all seem to be facing the back of the garden. I don't know why this is, but it meant that I was not able to get a good shot of them. Jack in the Pulpit can be poisonous if ingested.

Family: Araceae. Genus: Amsaema. Species: A. triphyllum.

Common Name: Jack in the Pulpit

And here is my Lily of the Valley. I have thousands of these plants. But to get a photo, I had to drive my scooter into my neighbour's backyard. On my side there is a huge pile of gravel that is supposed to fill in the pool. Yes, sadly we are taking it out, or rather, filling it in.

Lily of the Valley is a fragrant, hardy, shade-loving perennial. It can be invasive as it reproduces by sending out uderground stems called rhizomes.

Family: Ruscaceae. Genus: Convallaria. Species: C. majalis

Common name: Lily of the Valley

I also have a lovely red trillium. I planted one many years ago and only one keeps coming up. I bought it at a garden centre, so no worries about taking it out of the wild. I think I will have to revisit this garden centre sometime in the future and purchase some more - maybe some white trilliums too. I love those.

1 comment:

  1. I love Jack-in-the-pulpits... and ferns. I'm building a shade garden in a place where I will have to drag a hose about 100 feet... because it is the only place on the place that has enough deep shade to support shade plants. I'll have to enjoy your plants for another year, though, to encourage me in my endeavors.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete