Thursday, June 4, 2009

Columbine

The Columbine are blooming in my garden at the moment. These are one of my favourite plants. Oh, who am I kidding? I love all plants, but these hold a certain fascination for me. I love the five-petaled flowers and the long spur that grows to the back of the flower. Hummingbirds are supposed to love the nectar of these flowers. But I have not seen any yet this year. Columbine have such lovely delicate foliage. Even after they have flowered, I love to look at the leaves of this plant amongst my other plants. This is a pretty double pink variety.


There are about 70 species of Columbine. They are in the buttercup family - Ranunculaceae. I love this white one. It looks so delicate - almost see-though.

This yellow one is a fairly new acquisition. I just can't keep myself from buying a new plant every once in awhile. They look best in a sort of woodland setting, but they can be grown anywhere.

The wild Columbine (Aquilegia Canadensis) is Scarborough's official flower. Scarborough is the area of Toronto where we live. Because of that I have always devoted a special place in the garden for these wonderful herbaceous perennials. Isn't this pink one gorgeous?


Family: Ranunculaceae. Genus: Aquilegia. Numerous varieties.
Common Name: Columbine





No comments:

Post a Comment